Thursday, August 11, 2016

A little Pinterest Pizazz

I am a typical woman: I browse Pinterest here and there and pin items that look cool though even if I never actually plan on trying them. We needed a headboard for our guest bedroom and I had saved this pin a while back:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/94012710947589290/

My mom later asked if we wanted some of their old fence posts, as they were replacing theirs and this pin immediately came back into mind.

I started by sanding all the boards down just to get them smooth, though I didn't bother trying to make them look perfect because that defeats the purpose of the distressed look!




The next step was staining. I am personally not a huge fan of the white-washed look, which is what is shown in the pin, so I decided to go with a nice chocolate brown stain instead. Enter my new favorite product ever.... Polyshade! Polyshade is god's gift to DIY-ers everywhere. It is a combo of stain and polyurethane. With a couple of coats, you are good to go!


I was really happy that the natural "distress" of the boards were that much more emphasized by the Polyshade and they ended up looking amazing.


Once all the boards were stained, I screwed them into 2 x 2's so that the end product was nice and sturdy. Oh yeah, and I also staggered the boards (true to the Pin) in order to make it look a little more interesting.



Overall this Pinterest project worked out really well. I have received a ton of compliments about the finished product and plan to hang on to it for a long time.

Note: the only thing worth mentioning is that the Polyshade smell is pretty intense. We needed to open the windows to the guest bedroom and let the smell air out for several days before I would have felt comfortable spending a lot of time in there.

Can't wait to try another Pinterest project soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment