Saturday, October 25, 2014

I Call This... Suburban Camouflage

Bricking Staining

I am so happy to say that I am finally done with staining the brick on the front of the house and I am very pleased with the results. When I told people my plan for staining the brick, I got a lot of crazy looks and comments about how tedious of a job it would be. Well, it was indeed very, VERY tedious and with confidence I can say: brick staining is NOT for the faint of heart.

My story begins with some ugly yellow brick that comes with the late 40's house package. Needless to say, I was not feeling it and wanted to do something about it while maintaining the integrity and texture of the brick style (meaning: no painting).

Here are a couple photos of the yellow brick:



What most people don't know is that brick, like any stone, is really porous, so it absorbs masonry stain really well. You may have heard of dying cement or staining concrete floors and stone. This is no different.

After doing some research I decided to go with Dyebrick out of the U.K. I was impressed with the look of their product and decided to order a few samples to test it out. I ordered two sample pots: Mocha and Tudor Brown. The shipping was really fast and only took about a week to get to my house.
The thing about Dyebrick that makes it really easy to test out is if you do NOT add the Fixing Agent to the dye, you can paint it on your brick and power wash it right off afterwards. This makes it ideal for testing not only different colors but also different shades (the product uses water and can be diluted for a lighter saturation).

When my sample pots came, I tried two colors, Mocha and Tudor Brown, added several coats, tried painting the mortar to see if I liked that treatment, and last, diluted the pots to try out a lighter saturation. After the front of my house looked like a paint swatch I decided to go with Mocha.

Dyebrick was true to their word: the power washer made the sample stain disappear with no problems.

Two kits covered the front of my house so after looking at photos, perhaps try and decide what you will need for your space.

Before you get started staining, I recommend doing the following:

  1. Remove shutters, house numbers, mailboxes, plants and anything else that will uncover all of your brick and provide a clean surface for staining. Don't be lazy and try and stain around objects!
  2. Power wash your brick to remove all dirt and residue. This is crucial in getting your brick to absorb and retain the stain to the best of its ability.  
  3. Buy a decent brush. I went with a Polyester/Nylon blend about 1.5 inches with stiff bristles. 
  4. Wear clothes that can get dirty and cover important areas to prevent stain from splattering.
  5. Buckle up and be patient because this is going to be a long ride. 
If you have never worked with stain before, please keep in mind that it is very watery and easy to splatter. It is not thick like paint and because the pigment settles at the bottom, it needs to be stirred frequently. 

The Dyebrick kit comes with a really nice container that allows you to shake up your mixture and store it for later use. Remember that you will be using a FIXER this time so the brick stain will be permanent. 

There is definitely a technique best used for applying the stain and I have outlined it below:
  1. Poor a small portion of stain (after you have shaken and mixed it well) into a plastic cup or a plastic trim paint pale (the kind with handles and disposable liners). 
  2. Mix the stain BEFORE EACH application. This is very important as the pigment will settle at the bottom and your color won't be consistent as you go.
  3. Wring out the brush as much as possible on the inside wall of the cup or paint pale to remove as much excess stain as possible before you apply. A LITTLE BIT OF STAIN GOES A LONG WAY. If you don't wring out your brush enough before you apply, the stain will drip into the mortar or down onto other bricks. 
  4. If you do end up splattering some stain or it drips into the mortar, take a wet paper towel or rag to it quickly and wipe the stain away. 
  5. Apply the stain across the brick in long strokes so that you are not getting paint lines. 

As you can see, bricks are very porous and you will need to be patient as you go back and saturate the areas that are indented. Don't worry about being too perfect, stone is not flawless and varies in color. Some variation in your stain actually makes the final product look more natural. 

If you don't want to paint the mortar between the bricks like I did, you will need to paint each brick one at a time. I ended up doing two coats on each brick. Do one coat on your entire surface and then come back with your second coat. Because some of my bricks were extra yellow, I applied a third coat on a few which helped to cover the yellow and added to the natural variations of brick colors. At the end of the day, this isn't rocket science: apply as many coats to however many bricks as you think looks best. 

Here are a few more shots during the process:



Most people think that I was crazy to attempt this but it was so worth the time and effort. Check out the finished product!


Can you even tell that it is the same house? 

Personally I think that stone work is great and most of the time should not be replaced or painted. Try staining it next time! Unlike painting, the brick still appears really natural and maintains its texture. It honestly looks like the house was built with brown bricks to begin with. 

I transitioned the shutters from black to blue and replaced the light fixture above the door. We still have some landscaping and trim work to do on the front of the house next spring but I am really glad that I am ringing in this winter with my transformed little "Santorini" house. 

Hope you feel inspired to do some work on your own stone and feel free to reach out with questions!

Cheers,

15 comments:

  1. Hi Caitlin!
    I ran across your blog while perusing the Dye Brick website & noticed you're from MN. I have a boutique in northern WI and the facade is covered with ugly yellowish brick and have been researching dying it. Wondering how yours has held up? It looks great! I'm a bit concerned that with our winters it might not do as well...I don't do well with our winters either! :) Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Michelle! Thanks for reaching out! The stain has held up amazingly and has not needed any maintenance. As detailed in my blog post, the process is tedious but it was totally worth it. I would highly recommend. Hope the details in the post help and good luck!

      Delete
    2. hi Caitlin Weber, where do you buy the stain kit, and how many products to finish all

      Delete
    3. Hi Nghia, I ordered the stain from a company out of the UK called Dyebrick and I needed two kits for the front of the house. You will have to estimate how much you will need based on the picture above and how many coats you need. I put 2-3 coats on each brick depending on their original hue. Hope that helps and good luck on your project!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful!...you did a fabulous job! I was just wondering about how long it took you to complete this project? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chelsea! It was definitely tedious but I was able to complete it over two weekends with the occasional weekday in between. How big of a space are you looking to stain?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Caitlin, What a great job. I do not think it is crazy at all. I removed white paint from red brick to reface a house. (if you know what it is you want....). Now I know someone who has acquired an old yellow brick armory and wants to make it look like red brick. One contractor has proposed taping off the mortar and spraying it (with paint, I presume) to the tune of $100,000. I am wondering about the feasibility of doing this to an entire building. Trying to get dimensions, but for now say 50 times the space you had. Is this crazy? Thanks, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara,

      Personally I can't imagine doing this for an entire building by hand unless you have a LOT of people helping. With that said, it appears that the Dyebrick team does entire houses and buildings, so they may have some more advice on how to use the dye at a large scale.

      I don't see being able to spray the stain because it is much too watery and I would assume that tapping off the mortar would take just as long as just staining the brick by hand. I am sorry that I can't be of more help, good luck with the project! If you find a successful solution, I would love to see photos!

      Delete
  5. Did you dilute the dye? Or use it as it? My bricks are the same color and i love your after picture! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the final look of the finish. Our fireplace, in the house, is that same awful yellow and we'd like to change it. I hate the look of painted brick so I'm wondering if this product can be used indoors. What do you think? Too much of a mess to keep under control. We have new hardwood floor that I would hate to ruin. Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. do you recall how many kits you used for your entire house? How much did it cost you to purchase all the kits needed?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very, very helpful. I am ordering a sample kit today. I am going to use on a faux stone (they are made of cement) fireplace. Thank You!@

    ReplyDelete
  9. 2 of the $40 kits covered your house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the same thing but used Shermin Williams semi-transparent concrete stain. I did the front of my ranch house with one gallon (about $30). I actually used much less than the whole gallon.

      Delete
  10. What a great transformation! I love what you did and your detailed explanation for us other DIY-ers. Thanks so much and congratulations on a job well done.
    --Red Brick Ranch homeowner :)

    ReplyDelete